Hello Friends !
I hope you are well, and are enjoying your weekend wherever you are in the world. It’s nearly one am here in Aus, on the Monday of a long weekend, which clearly I am trying to draw out.
Today I was thinking about my favourite comfort foods, in the mists of a crazy week and one of the first things to come to mind were these tofu chicken nuggets. They are perfect served in a big bowl of salad or with sweet potato fries. I love coming up with veg alternatives, to meaty favourites and will regularly post these types of recipes on the blog.
Vegan ‘Chicken’ Nuggets
- 1 block of extra firm tofu
- 1/2 cup homemade bread crumbs or corn flake breadcrumb mix
- 4 tbs nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup milk of your choice ( I like almond this)
- Salt and Pepper
Preheat your oven to 200c and line one or two large flat baking trays with baking paper.
Prepare your tofu by pressing it between two chopping boards, to get rid of any excess water and then cut the tofu into small rectangles or be creative and cut them into clouds.
Mix together all the dry ingredients, including all the spices and seasoning. Dip each piece of tofu into a shallow bowl of milk, and then into the mixed dry ingredients, until each nugget is evenly coated.
Evenly space the nuggets across the one or two oven trays and bake for 20 minutes; turning at the half way mark. The nuggets should be golden and brown by this point. These nuggets get on really well with homemade tomato sauce or with a cashew mayo.
* What is Nutritional Yeast? Yellow in colour and with a nutty and original flavor, nutritional yeast is an inactive yeast that is a favourite amongst many of vegans because of its lovely flavor, and it’s similarity to cheese.